|It Was News then - Jan. 8, 2013|
|Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:42 AM|
One Year Ago
• When he attended the Delphos Optimist Club meeting on Friday, Delphos Assistant Police Chief and Lead Detective Dave Clark was expecting to give a presentation on business safety. As the “Respect for the Law” program got underway, Clark began to realize perhaps he wasn’t going to give the speech he had ready. He was nominated by Chief Kyle Fittro and received the “Law Enforcement of the Year” award from the Optimist Club.
25 Years Ago — 1988
• Elida school board held its 1988 re-organizational meeting this week, swearing in a new board member and an incumbent and electing a new president and vice president. Chris G. Anthony, former board president, was sworn in for his second term, and N. Tom Miller was sworn in for his third nonconsecutive term. Lynn Metzger was elected board president, replacing Anthony and Wayne Long was elected vice president.
• Van Wert Lodge 62, Fraternal Order of Police, recently installed officers for the new year. Officers are Richard Shobe, secretary; Calvin Mengerlink, president; Dennis Wagonrod, conductor; Brent Dubach, vice president; all from Van Wert Police Department; Ron Owens, inner guard; from Van Wert County Sheriff’s Department; and Jerry Kemper, trustee; Delphos Police Department; and Elmer Friemoth, retired Delphos police chief, chaplain.
50 Years Ago — 1963
• Sabin Oral Vaccine will be administered in Delphos on Jan. 13, Feb. 24 and April 21 in the Franklin School, it has been announced by Mrs. James C. Belt, chairman of the local committee in charge. Members of the Lima and Allen County Academy of Medicine urge all persons older than six weeks to take the three types of vaccine, which are given on a sugar cube, even if they had Salk vaccine immunization.
• Mrs. James Mesker was elected president of Phi Delta Sorority at a meeting held Monday night in the home of Mrs. Robert Pothast. Other officers named to service are: Mrs. Pothast, vice president; Mrs. Ralph Craig, secretary; Mrs. James Weger, treasurer; Mrs. Gary Poling, social chairman; Mrs. Thomas Mueller, program chairman; Mrs. William DeWeese, reporter and Mrs. Harry Dunlap, charity chairman.
• Skiing, as a wintertime sport, seems to be gaining in popularity among Delphos residents. Among the skiers at Bellefontaine Sunday were Reno Bianchi, Frank Wellman and Tom Deffenbaugh and on New Year’s Day John Horine and his daughter, Joan, took advantage of the snowy slopes for a day of skiing.
75 Years Ago — 1938
• Margie Houser, physical education instructor at Jefferson and Frances Steinhour, local dancing instructor, have been named to have charge of instructions in the Van Wert YWCA free health education program which will begin Jan. 10 and continue for eight weeks. Miss Houser will have charge of adult gymnasium classes, the swim period and instructional swimming. Mrs. Steinhour will instruct tap dancing classes.
• So that local children and adults, as well will have an opportunity to enjoy water sports in Delphos, the Delphos Civic Club is making every attempt to provide a municipal pool, if possible before the coming summer. At a meet of the club Thursday night, Lee Odenweller, Syl. Grothouse and Elmer Steinle volunteered to act as a committee to discuss the possible of starting the erection of a pool for Delphos.
• The Delphos Recreation Club brought home the proverbial bacon once again when they defeated the strong Gomer Boosters by the score of 28-18 Thursday night. Scoring for Delphos – Ditto 3 field goals, Hall 1 foul shot, Swartz 3 field goals, 1 foul; Powell 2 field goals, 1 foul; Erickson 4 field goals, and Adams 1 foul.