|It was News Then|
|Friday, February 08, 2013 6:06 PM|
One Year Ago
• The Jefferson girls allowed a 19-point lead to dwindle to eight before finishing off Ottoville 55-41 Saturday night at Ottoville. Senior Angie Gonyea’s steadying influence and Cheryl Kortokrax’s rebounding down the stretch helped pulled the Wildcats through. Kortokrax, who led her team in scoring (18) and rebounding (14) hauled in four rebounds in the final three minutes.
• Catholic Ladies of Columbia opened their February meeting with the ritual. Attendance awards went to Martha Pohlman and Marie Hoersten. Fifty-fifty winners were Theresa Alspaugh, Bertha Spieles and Dorothy Osting. Bingo winner was Florence Trentman and Clara Landwehr won the special prize of a heart towel rack donated by Dorothy Osting.
• Gale M. Miller is winner from Delphos Jefferson High School in the 1963 Betty Crocker Search for the American Homemaker of Tomorrow. She thus becomes eligible for one of 102 scholarships with a total value of $110,000. Having scored first in her school on the test given Dec. 4, the winner’s name has been entered in competition with those of other Ohio high school winners for state-wide honors.
• Members of the I D Bridge Club met for a luncheon Thursday at Harmon’s Restaurant and later played bridge at the home of Mrs. William Gladen, East Fifth Street. Prizes were awarded to Mrs. Fred Reinemeyer, who was high, to Mrs. Fred Tilton, in second place and to Mrs. Carl Behringer, receiving the traveling award.
• A cage aggregation which may go far in the sport world has been organized at the Bockey School, a one-room building in Marion Township. The seven boys in the eighth grade make up the team which is coached by Noah Shenk, teacher. Since the school affords no gymnasium, practice sessions are held on the packed ground in the school yard where baskets have been erected.
• The members of the Tourist Club met in regular session Monday evening at the home of Ethel Hart, West Fourth Street. Miss Hart presented the lesson, “Cardinal Ideas of Isaiah – Jefferson.” A review of “Great Biblical Speeches” was given by Mrs. Guy Tilton.