|It was News Then|
|Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:50 PM|
One Year Ago
• New Future Homemaker’s of America officers named at Fort Jennings High School were Amy McNamara, president; Sheila Maag, vice president; Stacy Paddubny, parliamentarian; Amy Howbert, secretary; Lori VonLehmden, treasurer; and Dawn Schuerman, reporter.
• The Rev. James Peiffer, pastor of St. John’s Catholic Church, was privileged to make two pilgrimages to Israel within a year. While both trips covered about the same itinerary, the one in June was a study tour. The second trip took place in January. “It was a vacation for me and gave me the opportunity to take more time with some things I had seen on my trip in June,” Peiffer said.
• Over 100 persons were present for the social Tuesday evening in the Knights of Columbus club rooms. The party was sponsored by the Delphos Catholic Ladies of Columbia. The prize in 500 was awarded to Rose Nolte, in bid euchre to Hilda Grothouse and in pinochle to Nora Mueller. Mary Pohlman received the door award.
• Industrial and Home Safety was the subject of a talk given at the Wednesday noon meeting of the Rotary Club, the speaker being A. E. Gallagher of Lima, Western Division Safety Supervisor of Ohio, with the Ohio Power Company. Paul Harter, Jr., Rotary president, was in charge of the meeting, and singing was led by the Rev. John Wilcox of the First United Presbyterian Church.
• Reports of membership team captains will be made at a regular meeting of Delphos Aerie of Eagles which will be held Monday night. The drive will end March 15 with a chicken banquet. A public dance is being planned for Thursday night. The Gross Family Orchestra of New Hampshire, will play for the round and square dances.
• The sleet storm that hit Delphos Saturday caused considerable damage. The storm extended as far west as Fort Wayne and as far east as Galion. The heavy ice coating caused many trees to be damaged or broken down entirely in Delphos and vicinity. Considerable damage to telephone wires and equipment was reported here.