|It was News Then|
|Friday, March 01, 2013 1:38 PM|
One Year Ago
• The Ladies Auxiliary to Walterick-Hemme Post 3035 met recently in the post clubrooms. Mary Lou Harmon and Betty Hugel reported on the mid-winter conference held recently in Toledo. The auxiliary will hold a St. Patrick’s Day dinner March 12. Chairladies are Marge Askins and Denelda Brokamp.
• St. John’s will have three wrestlers, Shawn Kimmet, Mark Musser and Jeremy Wannemacher, in the Division III district tournament this Friday and Saturday at Fostoria. Kimmet took third at 112 pounds, Musser was second at 140 and Wannemacher, third at 160, in the sectional tournament at Montpelier.
• Two Delphos area men will play important roles in the forthcoming annual convention of Professional Photographers of Ohio, Inc., to be held March 2-5 in Columbus. John R. Hoverman, Hoverman Studio, 433 E. Ninth St., and Oliver S. Lundgren, Kaufman Studio, 622 W. Second St., are among 53 photographers in Ohio who are the first to qualify as “Certified Professional Photographers” under a program launched in 1962.
• The annual Blue and Gold Banquet for Cub Scout Pack no. 48 was held Feb. 24 in the Little Theater at St. John’s School. Winners of the poster contest were Richard Wannemacher, Michael Warnecke and Richard Heidenescher. Winners of a game played were David Bockey, Daniel Warnecke, Mike Warnecke and Tom Greve.
• Two Delphos teams were successful in their first games in the third annual Junior High school tournament which opened at Columbus Grove Monday. St. John’s Junior High defeated Continental Junior High team by a score of 27 to 15 and Jefferson romped away with a 42 to 4 victory over Crawfis.
• Thomas Jervis of near Rimer, has returned after a visit in Wales. This was Jervis’ first visit home in 17 years. It is interesting that every farm home in Wales has a name. The name of the Jervis home is “Maesmedresiol.” Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Jervis came to America in 1921 on their wedding tour and have since resided on a farm near Rimer with their son, John and daughter, Verona Ann.