|It was News Then|
|Thursday, March 07, 2013 1:42 PM|
One Year Ago
25 Years Ago — 1988
• Bowling Green State University women finished their regular season Saturday with a 90-70 Mid-American Conference win over Ball State at Bowling Green. Convoy graduate Jackie Motycka led the Falcons with 16 points and seven rebounds. St. Johns graduate Traci Gorman, a freshman, scored two points in limited action as seniors played as much as possible in their final home game.
• Five Delphos youngsters will advance to the Jaycees state tri-skills basketball competition March 12 at Leipsic High School. The five placed first in local competition, sponsored by the Delphos Jaycees. The competition tested passing, dribbling and shooting skills. First place winners were Aaron Elwer, 8, Ryan Illyes, 10, Mike Martz, 9, Stacy Elwer, 11, and Mark Spieles, 12.
50 Years Ago — 1963
• Students from St. John’s High School attended the annual Industrial Forum held this year at Elida High School under the sponsorship of the Lima Management Club. Those who participated in the forum and toured the Ford plant at Lima were Ronald Suever, Mike Warnecke, Ronald Schlereth, Donald Osting, David Hedrick, Fred Kollsmith, Michael Seffernick, Kevin King, Alan Lause and James Menke.
• “The secret to success is faith in God,” Rev. C. M. Ward, who is conducting the revival crusade here this week, told Delphos Rotarians at their meeting at NuMaude’s Wednesday. Rev. Ward was introduced by Rev. John E. Wilcox, program chairman for the day. Guests included Lee Robbins of Springfield, Mike Odenweller and John Osting, seniors at St. John’s, and Harold Hawisher of Lima.
75 Years Ago — 1938
• The Irish members of St. John’s parish are sponsoring a St. Patrick’s Day entertainment to be presented at the school March 20. Plans were discussed at a meeting held at the school Sunday afternoon. The public is invited to attend the entertainment. Chairmen of the committee are Anna McCollister, Nelle McMahon and Ray McKowen.
• A large number of members of the American Legion, Women’s Auxiliary and Junior Auxiliary of Delphos, were in attendance at conferences held Sunday at Coldwater. Several from Delphos were on the various programs. Mrs. Dell Cochensparger made a report and Dell Cochensparger gave the response to the welcome address. Alice Moorman rendered a vocal solo with Dorothy Mundy as accompanist.