|It was News Then|
|Wednesday, April 03, 2013 11:33 AM|
One Year Ago
25 Years Ago – 1988
• District two conference for Veterans of Foreign Wars and auxiliary was held in Columbus Grove. District two president Dorothy Meyer was in charge. Those attending from Ottoville were commander Norbert Grote, auxiliary president Ruth Grote, Joe, Ethel and Becky Perrin, Gene and Thelma Minnig, Henrietta King, Elenetta Boerger, Rosa Deitering, Edwina Byrne and Betty Wieman.
• St. John’s eighth-grade cheerleaders took first place in the Diocesan Cheerleading competition held recently in Tiffin. Cheerleaders who participated were Katie Hanser, Nicki Wienken, Cindy Bockey, Jodi Sickels, Sue Klausing, Nikki Kimmet, Stacy Schimmoeller, Stephanie Grothouse, Beth Pohlman, Michelle Sterling, April Nutter, Laura Gordon, Amy Hablitzel, Kerri Wannamacher and Tracey Grothouse.
50 Years Ago – 1963
• Mrs. Harold Heiss and Bessie Heiss were co-hostesses to the members of the Past Chiefs Association Tuesday evening in the Harold Heiss home on West Fifth Street. During the business portion of the meeting, plans were made for the Pythian Sisters bake sale to be held April 6 at Clawson’s Electric Store. In contests, prizes went to Myrtle Talbot and Mrs. O. J. Truesdale.
• Routine business was transacted at the Catholic Ladies of Columbia meeting held Tuesday night at the K of C club rooms. Plans were made to hold a social for the public on April 16. Co-chairladies for the social are Bertha Spieles and Esther Hempfling. They will be assisted by Rose Nomina, Regina Hedrick, Helen Meyers, Donna Guthrie, Juliana Schosker, Eileen Holdgreve, Rita Elwer and Lucy Niemeyer.
75 Years Ago – 1937
• “Balmy Days,” a comedy, will be presented by students of St. John’s senior class on May 17. In the cast are the following students: Georgiana Brandehoff, Ruth Kipp, Eda Kurber, Mary Lindemann, Rosemary Metzner, Ruth Murray, Thelma Murray, Edna Jane Nolte, Jeanette Schwinnen, Irvin Brandehoff, William Gladen, Jr., John Ockuly, Roger Rekart, Louis Scherger, Robert Shenk, Richard Weber and Gilbert Wellmann.
• Nettie Sullivan, Lima, district manager, and one other member of the Lima review were present at a regular meeting of the Delphos review of the Women’s Benefit Association held in the lodge rooms Friday evening. Arrangements were made to hold a card party April 22. The following will serve on the committee for the card party: Lulu Staup, Ethel Scott, Bertha Schmelzer, Catherine Schramm, Mrs. Sautters, Nancy Stirn, Frances Stopher, Grace Stegeman, Belle Sanders and Mrs. Teman.