|It was News Then|
|Friday, April 05, 2013 11:39 AM|
One Year Ago
25 Years Ago – 1988
• Some Putnam County residents on spring break participated in the Ohio Department of Transportation litter pick-up and seedling and planting program along State Route 66 north of Delphos. Among those participating were Lori Hamburg of Kalida, a junior majoring in nursing at Bowling Green State University, Jan Heuerman of Columbus Grove, a junior majoring in nursing at BGSU, and Jodi Meyers, of Leipsic, a freshman in dental hygiene of Ohio State.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Walterick-Hemme Post 3035 Ladies Auxiliary of Delphos are planning a benefit supper and dance for Delphos Emergency Medical Service to be held April 23 at the post clubrooms. According to Post Commander Keith Harman, all proceeds will be donated to Delphos EMS to purchase a new ambulance needed to replace an aging ambulance presently being used. Chairladies for the supper will be auxiliary president Denelda Brokamp and auxiliary chaplain Marge Askins.
50 Years Ago – 1963
• The Jennings Twirlers square dance club will hold a dance for western style square dancers April 7 in Memorial Hall, Fort Jennings. Hosts and hostesses for the dance will be Mr. and Mrs. Virgil Ricker and Mr. and Mrs. Norbert Sarka. Hosts and hostesses for last Sunday’s dance included Mr. and Mrs. James Knott, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Knippen, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Etzkorn and Mr. and Mrs. Alvin VonLehmden.
• Delphos Chapter No. 26, Order of the Eastern Star met Thursday evening in the Masonic Temple for a regular meeting. Portions of some writings by William Jennings Bryan were given by the worthy matron, Mrs. Walter Clark. The next chapter meeting will be on April 18 and will be Robert Marris Night.
75 Years Ago – 1937
• A regular business meeting of Delphos council No. 1362, Knights of Columbus, was conducted in the K. of C. rooms Monday evening. Hubert Ricker, chairman of Troop Three, Delphos Boy Scouts, expressed his appreciation to the members for their assistance in re-organizing the troop. Paul Moenter, the scoutmaster also spoke briefly. Both men stated there was a vacancy in the committee. Alfred Schmit was named as the new member.
• The shorthand students of St. John’s High School did remarkably well in the international contest as the entire class received a high rating. Honorable mention gold plus were awarded to Nellie Finlay, Edna Jane Nolte, Ruth Kipp and Margaret Stallkamp. All these are entitled to a Red Seal Superior Merit Certificate. Nellie Finlay, the club prize winner, will be given a higher award.