|School staff to receive ALICE Training|
|Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:00 AM|
BY NANCY SPENCER
OTTOVILLE —Ottoville Local Schools will concentrate on safety prior to the district’s first day for students.
School board members learned Wednesday that teachers, administrators and maintenance staff will participate in ALICE Training conducted by the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office and Pandora Police Officer Scott Stant on Tuesday. The thrust of the training will be confronting and disarming an armed intruder.
Key-card entry on all doors will also be installed in the coming weeks. Indiana Hardware is providing and installing the new card swipers at $17,000. Funding for the safety upgrade will come from the Bureau of Worker’s Compensation refund ($10,465) and the Classroom Facilities Fund ($6,535).
Superintendent Scott Mangas also updated the board in other activities, including a four-hour bus training session held earlier this week in Ottoville and Kalida and a meeting held with teachers by Technology Coordinator Shelley Mumaw to bring them up to speed on upgrades installed during the summer and new iPad applications.
The board approved the following supplemental positions: Michelle Leach, one-year limited, assistant girls basketball; Tyler Wannemacher, one-year limited, baseball coach; Samantha Modica, one-year limited, junior high volleyball; Joe Modica, one-year limited, junior high volleyball; and Dana Schnipke, volunteer assistant junior varsity volleyball.
The school board also approved 34 open-enrollment students for this school year. Students are from Delphos, Fort Jennings, Wayne Trace, Continental, Kalida and Lincolnview schools.
In action, the board:
• Approved the three-year renewal of the state-mandated Public Official Bond Policy for Robert Weber as Ottoville School treasurer. The policy is through Webb Insurance with the carrier Cincinnati Insurance Company. The cost $203 for three years;
• Accepted and acknowledged the following donations and miscellaneous receipts:
— $10,465 Ohio BWC Premium Refund
— $2,014 Pepsi Bottling Company Contract Donations;
• Approve the adult and student tickets for all high school contests at $6 and $4, respectively, as adopted by the Putnam County League. All tickets at the door will be $6;
• Approved payment to “on-call” custodian for the 2013-14 school year at $25 per game for all home varsity basketball games;
• Approved payment to ticket takers, scorekeepers and timers for the 2013-14 school year at $25 per game for all home sporting events;
• Approved Arp’s Dairy Inc., to provide dairy products and juice for the 2013-14 school year. Arp’s was the lowest bid of two for dairy products;
• Approved Nickles Bakery to provide baked goods for the 2013-14 school year. Nickles was the only bid received for baked goods; and
• Approved Katie Schnipke as the Official School Photographer for Ottoville Local Schools for the 2013-14 school year.
The next meeting will begin at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 18 in the St. Barbara’s Catholic Church Parish hall in Cloverdale.