|Window to the Past - See America without signs|
|Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:00 AM|
San Antonio, Texas — Organized opposition to the roadside advertising abuse is developing in various parts of the United States, according to Old Spanish trail officials. That organization as a department of beautification, and the advertising nuisance is one of its points of attack. Sixteen truckloads of signs have been removed from the Old Spanish trail between San Antonio and Berne.
The women built up sentiment; they personally called on numerous property owners and obtained signed authorization to remove signs on private lands.
Mar. 21, 1925
History of the
“Number please!” And then you ask for one of 1,000,000 telephones.
March 6, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell, a teacher of “Visible Speech” to deaf mutes, was working on an apparatus he had named “telephone.” He was in the attic of the electrical workshop of Charles Williams, 109 Court Street, Boston. Two stories down was Thomas Watson, an electrician and machinist. Bell and his assistant had been working for nine months trying to talk over an electrical wire. A jumble of broken vocal sounds had been the net result. Then these words came clearly and distinctly to the electrician:
“Come here, Watson; I want you!”
Jan. 25, 1915, Bell in Boston repeated this same sentence over 3,600 miles of wire to Watson in San Francisco, using the same original transmitter and receiver.
President Walter Gifford, just elected, can now talk with every nook and cranny of the country over the 34,000,000 miles of the wires of the Bell Telephone system of the American Telephone & Telegraph Company and 25 associated companies.
Mar. 25, 1925
May Lengthen School
Year in Delphos
The school year of the Delphos public school may be slightly lengthened in the future, as a result of the provisions of the new foundation program for state support of the schools. As another result of this new set-up, there is a possibility that a kindergarten may be made a part of the Delphos school system.
The state support allowed under the new law is 17 cents per day per pupil for the first eight grades and 25 1/2 cents per day per pupil for those in the upper four grades.
These payments are to be based on the actual number of days of school.
The Delphos Public schools have nine months of school, a total of 180 days. From this are subtracted a number of holidays scattered through the year. Last year there were 173 days of actual teaching.
The Delphos School Board is considering a resolution to provide for a full 180 days of school so that the maximum sum may be received from the state.
The new law also provide for the payment by the state of 8 1/2 cents per day per pupil from children in kindergarten. It may be possible that arrangements will be made to have a kindergarten in the Delphos schools and participate also in this payment.
July 6, 1935
Fireworks Must be
Sold Inside Buildings
Delphos city officials are calling attention of fireworks salesmen to a city ordinance which says that fireworks cannot be sold outside of buildings or in doorways but must be displayed and sold on the inside. This warning is being given to avoid any trouble on the Fourth of July.
July 3, 1935
Timber is Sound,
Though Buried for
Furniture made from oak used by the Romans more than 1,800 years ago in the construction of an embankment for the Thames is shortly to be added to the historic treasure of the Mansion house, says the London Mail.
The timber was discovered during excavations behind King William Street. It is in good condition, although it has been buried for centuries.
It is in the possession of Thomas Williams, a member of the London and Middlesex archaeological society, who, with other experts, says is part of the first embankment built by the Romans.
A member of the society said the timbered embankment is 83 feet north of the Roman wall, probably built 200 years later.
Whole trunks of trees, piled one above the other, six deep and banked by cross-timbers were found in such good condition that they can be used for almost any purpose.
Sept. 2, 1926
Western Union Moving
Into Cook Building
The Western Union Telegraph Company is planning to make a change in the location of its office in this city.
The company has rented a room in the new Cook building on North Main street and will move to this location the latter part of October.
The United Cigar store, which now occupies a room with the Western Union, will continue in its present location.
The room, which the Western Union will occupy in the Cook building, is the fifth from the corner.
Sept. 1, 1926
Local Firm Will
Retire From Business
A business change is in prospect for the near future.
Moorman & Myers, local grocers, carry an announcement in this issue of the paper stating they will retire from business.
They say that their lease on the room has expired and they are unable to secure a new lease. They are preparing to sell out their stock of groceries and fixtures.
Sept. 1, 1926
For Delphos High
A new gymnasium for Delphos High will be given a tryout this year and, if plans work out as they believe it will, athletics in this school will be given a considerable impetus as a result.
The board of education has given permission for the trial use of the auditorium for this purpose, provided it is done without expense to the school district.
All of the permanent seats have been removed preparatory to using the room as a gymnasium.
Baskets will be placed at both ends of the room for basketball and shades for the windows and guards for the lights, where needed will be provided.
Some of the lights will be removed and larger ones will be substituted for smaller ones along the side of the room.
The seats for the room will be kept, and if the room is found unsatisfactory for use as a gym or if the pupils do not protect the property in a satisfactory manner, those seats will be replaced and the pupils denied the use as a gymnasium.
If it proves satisfactory and the pupils take good care of the building, movable auditorium seats may be secured and the old seats disposed of.
The room is large enough so that several rows of chairs for spectators can be arranged along either side of the playing floor. Seating will also be arranged on the stage for athletic events.
Sept. 3, 1926