|OHSAA Board of Directors Meeting Highlights|
|Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:12 PM|
COLUMBUS – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Board of Directors met Thursday for its regularly-scheduled May meeting. The following are highlights from the meeting. The complete set of meeting minutes will be posted later at OHSAA.org.
- The board approved the 2014-15 sports regulations, which will be included in the annual OHSAA Handbook (published in July) and posted at OHSAA.org. In addition to the bylaws, understanding sports regulations is the responsibility of all OHSAA member schools.
- The financial reports from the bowling, gymnastics and swimming state tournaments, along with the volleyball regional and state financial reports, were reviewed by the board. Of note, the volleyball state tournament attendance increased by 1,704 paid admissions (12,943 total attendance), the bowling state tournament attendance was 2,724, the gymnastics state tournament attendance was 1,433 and the swimming state tournament attendance was 8,202.
- The board denied a proposal from the volleyball coaches association to raise the net height in middle school contests to the same height of the net in high school contests.
- Six member schools were recently penalized for committing infractions of OHSAA bylaws or sports regulations. The list of infractions and penalties is always included in the complete meeting minutes posted at OHSAA.org.
- The board reviewed the minutes from the annual meeting with the coaches association presidents, which took place April 9.
- The OHSAA 7th and 8th Grade Committee met May 7. Among their items of discussion was the middle school volleyball net height, setting dates for regular update memos to member middle schools and consideration of expanding tournament opportunities in the future.
- Four regional update meetings, where OHSAA administrators give updates and explain new regulations, have been scheduled for late summer. The dates include July 31 in Kettering, Aug. 7 in Findlay, Aug. 11 in New Albany and Aug. 12 in Hudson. An additional meeting could be scheduled.
- The annual OHSAA Seminar for New School Administrators is scheduled for August 5 in Worthington. Please contact the OHSAA for details.
OHSAA Spring Tournaments Information
Boys Tennis – May 30-31 at OSU Outdoor Varsity Tennis Courts
Softball – June 5-7 at Firestone Stadium, Akron
Baseball – June 5-7 at Huntington Park, Columbus
Track & Field – June 6-7 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, The Ohio State University
Statewide Softball Brackets: http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/sb/girls/2014/StatewideBrackets.htm
Statewide Baseball Brackets: http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/bb/boys/2014/StatewideBrackets.htm
Track and Field Tournament Information: http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/tf/default.asp
OHSAA Radio Network to Broadcast Baseball and Softball State Tournaments
There is no charge for stations to carry OHSAA Radio Network broadcasts and there are 18 local avails in each baseball/softball game if stations want to insert their own inventory. Stations that commit to carry several network broadcasts can have their regional and state tournament broadcast rights fees reduced or waived. Program logs are created for each game and there are sub-audible tones for automation (a board op is still recommended for baseball/softball due to possible weather delays).
Program log: http://www.ohsaa.org/news/Radio/2014Baseball-Softball/2014Baseball-Softball-ProgramLogTemplate.pdf
OHSAA Radio Network website: http://www.ohsaa.org/news/Radio/radiohome.asp
Baseball Broadcast Crews: Play-by-play – Todd Bell, Todd Walker, Paul Keels, Marty Bannister and Joe Neves. Color analysts – Eric Welch, Heath Murray, Chris Huesman, Bob Spears and Sonny Fulks.
Softball Broadcast Crews: Play-by-play - Tim Alcorn, Ray Horner, Bill Morgan and Brad Shupe. Color analysts – Carla Brookbank Schaal and Tess Sito.