Lima, Ohio – Police and detectives early today, chased a Ford “Prairie Schooner” across the Indiana line in the belief that one of the occupants was Philip Knapp, the New York war veteran who is wanted for the “thrill murder” of Louis Panelles.
The first tip that the schooner might be Knapp’s vehicle of flight was given to police by Miss Ruth Keating, after the suspect and two other men had called on her at the Lima License bureau for a certificate to sell ?? on the streets.
The men said they were war veterans. Recognizing one as resembling Knapp, Miss Keating notified police who formed a posse, and took up pursuit of the schooner.
After following the trio as far as Portland, Ind., the Lima posse gave up and returned.
The schooner bears numerous road signs and license plates indicating it has been all over the midwest. A number of small firearms decorated the sides of the machine and on one fender is a monkey in a cage.
Reports from nearby towns said the schooner, had been wanted through this district for several weeks.
Delphos Herald, July 16, 1925
Machine Wrecked On Lincoln Way
The Lincoln Highway bridge over the West Fork of Jennings Creek a mile and a half west of Delphos was the scene of another accident early Wednesday morning when a high-powered Morman touring car belonging to V.L Bowyer, proprietor of the Lincoln Highway garage, was wrecked.
Mr. Bowyer was at the wheel at the time. Mr. Bowyer states that he was driving at a rate of about 30 miles an hour at the time of the accident. As he came around the curve west of the bridge, the rear tire on the right side blew out causing the car to swerve and strike against the south side of the bridge. The front hub cap caught on the bridge and threw the car still farther around. After striking the bridge, the machine turned crossways and slid about 40 feet east on the road.
An accomplice, Mr. Stone, escaped injury. Mr Bowyer sustained slight scratches about the head and a slight bruise on the body.
The machine was badly wrecked. The transmission and differential cases were broken, the rear axle torn loose, the right rear wheel broken, the right front hub cap torn off and the front axle bent and the fenders and runnings boards on the right side badly bent. (All this on a high powered car going 30 M.P.H. ?? R.H.)
The machine was brought to the garage Wednesday morning by the Friemoth Brothers wrecking car.
The accident happened at about two o’clock Wednesday morning as the two men were returning from Ft. Wayne.
Delphos Herald, July 8, 1925
A Brave Woman, Single-Handidly Held Redskins at Bay.
On the southern slope of a hillside, about 55 miles west from St. Louis and midway between the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, is the ruin, and even that has almost disappeared, of a heavily built log structure, known in the early days as Fort Kennedy. This out post of the western march of civilization was the scene of a battle waged on one side by a party of Indians, on the other by a woman, and the result of which was the woman’s victory.
It was autumn, and the Osages, the tribe of Indians that inhabited the territory at that time, were roving in bands, hunting game. At the time mentioned, maraudings and murders by the Indians had been more frequent. It was not strange, therefore, that Mother Kennedy, standing at the front door of the fort, should feel apprehensive as she peered down the vista in front, flanked on either side by long files of giant oaks and hickories. She and her three small children were the only persons at the fort. He husband had gone out that morning with his dogs and rifle in search of game. He said he would return in the afternoon, but had not come.
It was about dark when Mother Kennedy finished the work outside and entered the fort. With the evening meal over, the anxious woman stepped outside to listen. When it grew quite dark she suddenly heard the cry of a panther a long way off. The cry was repeated and her trained ear told her that it was a counterfeit of the panther. Then the cry was nearer and repeated on another side of the house. “Injuns”, said the hardy woman. “I recon I better git things ready for the varments.”
So she groped her way through the darkness to the woodpile in the yard and got her husbands’s axe, and re-entered the fort. First she barricaded the door and set the axe against the wall to be ready for emergencies. Then she leaned the rifle against the wall near a small aperture set at an angle for a view of one side of the fort. Then she put her little ones to bed. This done, she felt about for something else to do. She listened. The false panther cry came very close to the fort.
If the forms she thought she saw were real, a shot would warn the Indians that the inmates of the fort were aware of their presence and prepared to fight them. The forms drew nearer until she could distinguish one from another. She aimed and fired. A form leaped into the air and cried in pain, and they ran back to the shelter of the trees. Mrs. Kennedy quickly reloaded her rifle and knowing the Indians made a circuit of the room and looked out of the portholes to see if an approach was attempted from any other point. She could see nothing. Another problem now presented itself. She no sooner thought of it than she emptied the mattress on the bed of its stuffing of geese and turkey feathers into the fireplace. Then she awakened her little ones and made them stand near the door, ready to run for the trees if it should be necessary to save herself by flight. After a few minutes shots were fired in front of the fort. Mrs. Kennedy rushed to the porthole on that side and raised her rifle, but did not fire. No forms of the Indians appeared, but the ruse was effective and one or two of them reached the fort from the rear and scaled a pole to the roof. Mrs. Kennedy understood what it meant and the fact that the reds were daring enough to attempt the feat also convinced her that they knew her husband was away. She sprang from the porthole to the fireplace and started a fire and flames and pungent smoke from the feathers rolled up the chimney.
Howls of disgust and a quick clamoring from the chimney to roof told that her movement had been successful - the Indians who had started down the chimney, retreated from the heat and stifling smoke. Mrs. Kennedy struck a light to the tallow dip, so that if the Indians broke into the fort, she and her little ones might escape into the darkness, while the assailants were temporarily blinded by the light. She had just set the light on the table when there came a battering at the door of the fort. The Indians in front of the place had taken advantage of the opportunity offered by the ruse of the reds on the roof to secure a large timber and charged against the door in an attempt to batter it in. At the third blow the lower half of the door broke through.. Mrs. Kennedy sprang to the side of the door and stood with the raised axe. A painted face appeared at the door, but as Mrs. Kennedy stood close to the wall on one side and the children on the other, ready to run and hide at her signal, the warrior saw nothing. His face was thrust, farther into the opening and seeing nothing the Indian starred boldly through the broken door.
When the Indian had got well within the room and was about to draw his tomahawk, she brought down the axe with crushing force on his skull, then hastily pulled him aside while death quieted him. The Indians thinking that there was no danger, their comrade having uttered no sound, started another of their comrades through, but he caught sight of his predecessor in death agony and started back uttering a wild yell. Mrs. Kennedy struck at him but only wounded him. He ran off yelling at the top of his voice. Shots from another direction at this moment caused a stampede of the Indians to the timber. A moment later there was a signal which Mrs. Kennedy understood, and she gave one in return. In a few seconds her husband was at the door of the fort, which opened and although several shots were fired by the Indians from the edge of the clearing none were effective and the master of the fort entered unharmed. Hastily barricading the door and putting the children to bed, husband and wife took stations at the port holes on opposite sides of the fort and watched till morning, but the Indians did not return. Next day the dead Indian was taken in the forest and buried. The wounded ones were carried away by their comrades. The Kennedys strengthened their fortifications, but never again was their fort molested.
Delphos Herald, Nov. 4, 1899
Delphos has Distinction
Herald representative Friday afternoon, visited Delphos’ new industry, the plant of Swink Printing Press company, now in operation with a force of men, at good wages. This new plant moved from St. Marys in July, and occupies the foundry building south of the water works plant, jointly with the Delphos Foundry & Manufacturing Co.
This plant has the distinction of being the only two revolution press manufactory in the United States, where the material is received into the plant in pig iron form, and comes out the finished product, all work done under one roof. All the casting for the presses are made in the east part of the big foundry building. There are only four other town revolution printing press manufactories in the U.S. and Delphos now possess the fifth. The Swink Company makes the only low price press on the market today, and has command of a field that is practically inexhaustible.
Tom Jarboe, President of the company showed the Herald representative out the plant and explained the press in detail, several being now under construction. In the main machine room a 25-horsepower gas engine affords power, and another of similar power is being set up. The company has its own gas produce of 35 horse power supply capacity, a 100 light dynamo, eleven large machines, including planers, drill presses and a milling machine.
During the time that the plant was located in St. Marys, the company manufactured and sold 16 of these presses, all in constant use and giving the best of satisfaction. One is being installed in the office of the Jettinger Printing co., in this city for demonstrating purposes, and Mr. Jettinger’s excellent publication, the Buckeye Informer, will be printed on the Swink press.
The company has added to the efficiency of their otherwise modern plant be the installation of a traveling crane, designed to lift the heavy castings and conveying them where desired.
Delphos Herald, Nov. 7, 1908
Delphos Manufacturing Co. Installs New Machinery
The Delphos Manufacturing Company has recently installed the machinery bought from a company at Rockford, Ill., used in making an eave trough mitre from one piece of metal, doing away with soldered joints. This is proving quite a convenience. The mitres are now made in Delphos, have been improved and affords employment to an additional number of men.
Chas. Best, the company electrician, has perfected an automatic electric device in connection with a motor to control the big freight elevator in the power plant.
At the present, the can department force is working overtime and all departments have plenty of work ahead. The galvanizing plant is idle, not because orders are lacking, but for the reason that the steel trust has not yet fixed the price of iron. It is expected that the difficulty will be adjusted soon, and the galvanizing department will again be placed in operation.
Within the past six months the company has added two new lines to their output, pails and well buckets and within the next six-months expect to manufacture candy pails and household utensils.
The tin department has obtained some big contract for oil tanks, and car load after car load are being shipped each week.
It is impossible for one to grasp the enormity of the business unless they visit the plant, and consider what the big payroll each month means to Delphos and the vast number of people that are afforded employment.
Delphos Herald, Jan. 6, 1911
Read more next week.
Will Aid in Building Canal Flume
Delphos consumers of water from the Miami & Erie Canal, at a meeting in the City Building voted to bear their share of the expense incident to the building of a flume which will be used to conduct water past the aqueduct over the St. Marys river at St. Marys and to prevent the failure of the water supply in the canal while repairs on the aqueduct are in progress.
The city and nearly all of the local industries which draw on the canal for a supply of water were represented at the meeting.
It was explained that the cost of the flume will be approximately $1,000 to $1,400 and that it will be necessary for the consumers to meet their cost as the state has no appropriation for any such expense.
It was the sentiment of those present that the importance of the canal to all of them, more than justified the expense.
Each of the consumers will be assessed 10 percent of the amount paid annually to the state for water rent. Should anything remain in the treasury after the flume is built, it will be prorated to the consumers.
A flume 5 feet by 6 feet is to be built. This will supply a sufficient flow of water to take care of all the consumers along the canal and bring a good flow of water all the way to Delphos.
Work was started on this flume on Friday and it is to be rushed to completion as rapidly as possible. It will likely be completed in the next two or three days.
Haste in its construction was needed by the fact that the storm at the reservoir Thursday night caused the aqueduct to give way and shut off the supply of water. This will be restored as soon as the flume is completed.
Delphos Herald, July 12, 1895
To Investigate Pollution of Streams
Condition with regard to the pollution of Jennings Creek and the Auglaize River will be investigated next by the State Board of Health.
Service Director C.D. Laing received a letter from the State Board enclosing a copy of a letter sent to Mayor Rudolph Raabe, Ft. Jennings in the reply to a protest which he registered a few days ago with the board.
The letter was written by W.H. Ditto, chief engineer for the state board and state that two members will be here next week to make an investigation of the conditions complained of.
The protest from Ft. Jennings followed the finding some days back of a large number of dead fish in the river. Sewage from Delphos is said to have been responsible.
The conditions are thought to have been due largely to the face that the water supply in the canal was held up at Spencerville and there was not a sufficient flow to dilute the city sewage.
Delphos Herald, July 11, 1925
Many Polio Cases Reported
More infantile paralysis cases have been reported to the state health department this month then in the first seven months of the year.
The dreaded disease reached near epidemic proportions in Summit County, from which 39 cases were reported to the department. It was understood that more than 60 cases have been discovered in the Akron area but the other reports have not yet come to Columbus.
Last year, 284 cases were reported to Aug. 26. The peak year was 1944 when 399 cases were reported.
Delphos Herald, Aug. 27, 1947
Is Constructing New Building
A new building is under construction on West Second Street at the rear of Schmidt grocery which will be occupied by Dr. J. W. Clark, local osteopathic physician when completed. The building will be of concrete blocks with an outside covering which will make it most attractive.
Dr. Clark purchased the ground from Mrs. T. P, Critchfield recently.
Delphos Herald, Aug. 27, 1947
The marriage of Dr. John Oakuly to Miss Jane Walbright of Cincinnati, will take place Sat. morning at the Church of the Assumption at Cincinnati.
Delphos Herald, Aug. 27, 1947