David Merritt, of Lima, who conducted a camp meeting in Waterworks Park in Delphos several weeks ago and who has been in charge of a similar meeting at Scotts Park, east of here, was arrested on the streets in Lima, charged with carrying concealed weapons and held to the grand jury. Concerning the arrest, a Lima paper has the following to say:
“Because his actions did not seem rational to the police, and further more because he appeared to be dangerous to the local bluecoats, Dave Merritt, colored, of this city, was zzzarrested on east Market street at 7:30 o’clock Tuesday.
“He was taken to the police station and lodged in a cell until the arrival of Mayor Robb. In the meantime, it was found that Merritt was carrying concealed weapons and that charge was placed against him.
“When arraigned before Mayor Robb on the charge, he was bound over to the grand jury under $100 bond. In a sack, which the colored man was carrying over his shoulder, was found two revolvers, one of the huge Colt size and a smaller one. Merritt asked the mayor if he furnished bond, if he could take his property with him. The small one, the mayor said he could, but a second look at the .44 calibre Colt revolver was enough to cause that executive to shake his head “no”.
Merritt explained his gun toting by telling the police that he was a leader of a revival meeting at Scott’s Crossing, east of Delphos, and said that thieves had the habit of stealing the guns, so it was necessary for him to take them with him whenever he left camp.”
Aug. 12, 1914
Word Was Received
of Safe Arrival
Word was received in Lima of the safe arrival of Dr. and Mrs. W.B. Van Note at New York. Some concern had been felt by friends, as nothing had been heard from them since the war began. It was supposed that they started homeward from Europe on the first of August, but nothing definite could be learned.
William Johnson, ten years old, who is visiting at the home of E.F. Moore in Lima, suffered a compound fracture of the right arm when he was thrown from the back of a cow which he was riding.
Aug. 12, 1914
Buggy Struck By Auto
A buggy occupied by Mr. and Mrs. P.L. Hickey and children of Delphos, and Earl Wagner of Detroit, was struck just west of Delphos, Saturday, by an auto driven by D.J. Jones of Delphos. The auto driver was attempting to pass from the rear at the time. One wheel of the buggy was slightly damaged, but no one was injured.
Woman Injured When
Buggy Was Overturned
Monday, just after noon, while driving to their home west of Delphos, Mr. and Mrs. Otto Schemelzer, met with an accident. They were driving home in a cozy cab, and when they were near the Holdgreve farm, west of town, the cab overturned. The glass was broken and Mrs. Schmelzer had her face considerably cut. Mr. Schmelzer was uninjured. Dr. J. Wolf, of Delphos, was summoned and gave attention to the injured and then took Mr. and Mrs. Schmelzer to their home. The cozy cab was considerably damaged.
July 6, 1914
City Council Meeting
Councilman Davis reported that the Lang Milling company would allow the placing of hitching racks in front of their property on East First street, between Main and Washington streets, providing the city would furnish sewer outlet to drain the property. The outlet will be furnished by the city and the racks will be placed.
It was reported that a scale on East Second street at the Chas. Dienstberger property extends into the street beyond the new pavement line. This matter was left to the improvement committee to confer with Mr. Dienstberger and arrange to have the same moved.
Aug. 12, 1914
John Lair brings you his Homespun Funmakers “America’s Greatest Hillbilly Aggregation.”
With all your favorite Fiddlin Folk Song, Dance and Music Radio Stars of WHAS, Louisville, Ky., and 18 other Columbia Network Stations.
Gene “Nubbin” Cobb - Emory Martin - Bob Autry - Traver Twins - Smokey Ward - Larry Byrd - Jeanne and Mel - Coon Creek Girl and many others.
Children ..... 22 cents
Adults ..... 45 cents
Mammoth Tent Theatre
Aug. 13, 1943
Museum Articles Received
Many additions are being made each month to the collection of relics and other interesting articles to be placed in the museum to be established in the basement of the public library. These donations are being received by J.H. Wahmhoff and will be held until such time as the museum can properly arrange for them.
Following is a list of articles received by Mr. Wahmhoff during the month of November, 1913:
Flat Indian stone and flax scutching knife, donated by Amadeus and L. Best.
Early laws and treatise of Ohio donated by Mrs. Luella Smith.
Pair of Dutch oven hooks and old style fire tongs, donated by Emanuel Baker.
Four mastodon teeth and tail, donated by Shelby Harris.
Photograph of the home ancestors of President McKinley, donated by V.H. Nelson.
Spinning tool over 150 years old, donated by Frank Hummer.
Part of elephant tusk, donated by W.L. Shaffer.
Petrified plant leaf and Osage Hill akorns, donated by Chas. Hemming.
Indian stirring spoon, donated by Dr. H.M. Viel.
July 3, 1914
Taxi Service to and from trains anyplace in the city, 25 cents. Night calls 50 cents.
Stottlemeyer Bros. Livery
July 3, 1914
$12.75 Tub Silk Dresses ... $8.75
$35.00 Silk Dresses ... $23.75
$25.00 Coats ... $16.75
$2.50 Wool Bathing Suits ... $1.98
$1.25 Full Fashion Silk Hose ... 95c
35c Lisle Hose ... 22c
$1.50 Bloomers ... 75c
$7.50 to $10.00 Dress Skirts ... $3.98
$1.50 to $2.00 Children’s Dresses ... $1.39
July 1, 1925
The ordinance which regulates the driving of traction engines over the paved streets of Delphos is to be given a test to determine wether or not it is valid, a case having been appealed from the court of Mayor Williams, in which the offense was the violation of this ordinance.
The ordinance makes it unlawful to drive a traction engine over or across a paved street without first laying down plank. Russell Pollock, who drove a traction engine over one of the paved streets while in the employ of the Middle Point Threshing Company was arranged before Mayor Williams Saturday on the charge of violating a city ordinance and pled not guilty. The evidence was sufficient to declare him guilty and he was assessed a fine of $10 and the costs in the case. Pollock gave notice to the Mayor that he would appeal the case to Van Wert County Common Pleas Court.
Owners of traction engines have questioned the validity of the ordinance, and the question will now be settled in the Van Wert County Courts.
Aug. 12, 1912
Riding of Motorcycles
The Delphos City Council passed an ordinance regulating the riding of motorcycles on the streets of the city. The ordinance provides that each owner of a motorcycle operated upon the public streets must pay a registration fee of 42.00 annually. Failure to comply subjects the offender to a fine of not more than $25 for the first offense and not more than $200 for each subsequent offense. A like fine is also fixed for failure to provide a suitable brake on the machine or for failure to carry a bell or other device for signaling and for failure to display a white light on the front from 30 minutes after sundown to 30 minutes before sunrise. The ordinance will also have the effect of subduing snorting motorcycles within the city with a fine of not more than $25 for the first offense and not more than $250 for each subsequent offense. The new ordinance prohibits the carrying of two parties on motorcycles excepting tandems.
July 24, 1912
About Trucks and also
In the winter of 1911, a Massachusetts motorcycle manufacturer had to get a shipment to New York to catch a boat.
The heavy snows had congested freight traffic so badly that the railways could not promise a car in time to catch the steamer. In despair, the motorcycle builder appealed to a truck builder to get the shipment to New York within three days. Although the roads were badly blockaded with snow and ice, the power truck made the 150 miles to New York in three days.
These trucks were all single units but in 1917 the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. turned one of these “straight bodied” trucks into a tractor and trailer equipped it with pneumatic tires, loaded it with 10 tons of Goodyear tires and send it off from Akron, Ohio to Boston, Mass. This was the first six-wheeled truck to make a long haul. A car, carrying tires, spare tools, accompanied the truck and its crew of four.
The average speed along the Lincoln Highway was between 14 and 18 miles an hour. The brakes were not powerful enough to hold on steep grades and bridges, he applied the brakes to slow down and the left front brake grabbed.
The truck was still in the creek at one o’clock this afternoon. A large wrecker had been called but a truck-crane also had to be secured to lift the vehicle out.
Nov. 16, 1955
Continued in next weeks paper