A very lovely but heart-rending hymn festival highlighted a trio of final religious services conducted in the 75-year-old Trinity Methodist Church here, which is giving way to a new $100,000 edifice this year.
In addition to the hymn festival held at the regular morning service at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, there were services of the Sacrament of Holy Communion and Baptism conducted in the afternoon from 2 to 4:30 p.m.
The morning service included congregational singing, anthems by the three choirs, adult high school and junior, a total of 60 voices, all under the direction of Mrs. Kenneth Woodring. The high school choir had 28 voices, the junior group had 26 voices and the adult choir a dozen voices.
Soloists for the service included Miss Leah Harpster, Mrs. Frank Linder, Mrs. E.E. Willieke and Ronnie Patton. A mixed quartet also sang and included Leah Harpster, Marilyn Burgess, Guy Tilton and Dale Van Meter.
The need for an edifice with a larger seating capacity was again felt as the auditorium of the church was filled to near overflowing with some 300 members and friends participating in this service. Razing of the church is expected to begin this week with the removal of the pews set for Thursday afternoon and volunteers are sought for this and the removal of furniture and fixtures.
Tearing down the 65-year-old parish house, formerly the parsonage, got underway last Tuesday and is expected to be completed this week.
Church School and Church will be held next Sunday and then until the new edifice is erected in the auditorium of the Franklin School Building. The hours of the services will continue the same with the Church School set for 9:30 a.m. and the Worship service at 10:30 a.m.
The final complete construction plans are now in the hands of several general contractors and they are preparing bids on the cost of construction of the church. No date has been set, but it is believed that an early date in April will be set as the occasion when ground will be broken for the launching of the new church construction.
The church office and pastor’s study is located at 311 1/2 North Main street, above Scott’s Grocery.
Mar. 7, 1955
FFA Chapter’s Ear
of Corn Contest
Winners in the ‘Ear of Corn Selection’ contest conducted by the Delphos Chapter Future Farmers of America this winter were announced today. First place went to Edwin Holdgreve, second went to John Gengler, third to Paul Ebbeskotte and fourth to Bill Gerdeman. A total of 14 local FFA members participated.
The contest selections were made on the best all-around ear of corn entered. Judge for the contest was I.N. Nihiser, manager of the aged house at the Marsh Foundation farm, Van Wert.
The ear of corn had to be produced on the family farm. Purpose of the contest was to show the boy’s ability in selecting a good ear of corn from the 1954 harvest.
Delphos Herald, 1955
Delphos and Kenton
Men Buy Phelan
A prominent Delphos businessman and a Kenton, Ohio, optometrist became the new owners of the Phelan Hotel building this week when they purchased the controlling stock of the Wolf Corp., owners of the hostelry.
The two men, brothers-in-law, are Morris Lehmann, owner and operator of the Lehmann’s Store at 246 North Main street, and Dr. Edwin G. Holdgreve of Kenton and formerly of this city, purchased the 200 shares of the Wolf Corporation stock from Mrs. Janet Rosen and Mrs. Eugenia Preto, who have been operating the hotel since May, 1951. The Wolf Corporation secured the hotel building in 1947.
Mr. Lehmann and Dr. Holdgreve will become owners of the hotel corporation on March 1st.
The 48-room hotel building was erected 75 years ago by J.T. McShane and then about 40 years ago the addition to the south was erected with the first floor quarters being planned for use as the head U.S. Post Office. The rooms occupied by the post office until the present federal owned building was erected are now tenanted by the Ohio State Liquor Department retail store and Donna’s Beauty Shop, owned by Donna Schmelzer.
The old dining room of the hotel is the home of Kaufman’s Studio, operated by Oliver Lungren. Other ground floor business rooms in the building are occupied by the Star Cafe, Point Restaurant and Esther’s Beauty Shop. The Sterling barbershop is located in the basement.
Mrs. Preto and Mrs. Rosen will assist with the operation during the next month. There is to be no changes made in the operation of the hotel or building.
Mar. 25, 1955.
Delphos Police Get
The Hanshumaker Motor Sales of 222 North Canal street was awarded the contract to furnish the Delphos Police Department with a 1955 automobile for use as a police cruiser today by Safety Service Director Edmund Wurst.
Bids for the new police cruiser were opened Wednesday afternoon with the Studebaker-Packard dealer, submitting the low bids. Hanshumaker is to furnish a 1955 Studebaker Commander V-8 tudor at a net cost of $699 unless automatic transmission is gotten, which will add $165 to the price. The low bed listed a gross price of $1,482.25 and an allowance for trade-in of the 1953 Ford Mainliner of $783.25.
The new car equipment is to include a spotlight, side mirror red-flashing lights - front and rear heater, directional turn signals, etc. The siren off of the old cruiser will be transferred to the new one.
A total of four bids were submitted by three local dealers. The Raabe bid listed a 1955 Ford Mainliner Tudor V8 with a 162 horsepower engine at a gross cost of $1,952.49 less allowance for trade-in of 4952.49 for a net cost of $1,000. The bid listed additional costs for heavy duty generator and $165 additional for automatic transmission.
The Sheeter Motor Sales bids were on a Plymouth and a Dodge. The Plymouth Plaza V8 club sedan bid listed a net cost of $960.70 after an allowance of $875 for the 1953 Ford trade-in. The price included automatic transmission listed at $165 less 10 per cent.
The Dodge bid included an allowance of $295.90 for trade in of the two-wheeled motorcycle in addition to the Ford auto for a cost of $901.50.
Safety Director Wurst in reporting the awarding of the contract, indicated that the automatic transmission option would probably be included.
Mar. 1, 1955
Former Delphos Man
Signs Contract With
The firing of six singers and a trio of writers by Arthur Godfrey, a week ago, in a bid to regain a top spot on the air drew particular interest, as one of the writers was Chuck Horner, a former Delphos young man.
Horner, better known here as Charles Horine, is a son of Mr. and Mrs. George Horine of 415 North Maple street. Chuck had been a writer for the Godfrey radio and TV shows for a number of years.
He has now taken a position as a writer for the Gary Moore TV shows.
The April 15 Godfrey house cleaning cost the jobs of the Mariners, a mixed Negro and white male quartet whom Godfrey swore by.
Apr. 22, 1955
Century Club Fire
Estimated at About $40,000
An early morning fire destroyed the Century Club, a night club, located at the east edge of Delphos on Elida road today. The total loss in building and contents was estimated at $35,000 to 440,000.
The fire apparently started sometime between 3:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. Saturday as it was discovered shortly after 6 o’clock and the night club operators reported they left the establishment about 3:30 a.m.
The Century Club was operated by Robert Arnoldi, of 328 West Second street, Robert Dienstberger of 514 South Cass street and W. Alfred Turner of 320 North Jefferson street.
The building was owned by Gilbert Brandehoff of 312 East Second street, who erected the one-story frame structure in 1938.
The present operators purchased the cafe last July and they immediately enlarged the structure with an 18 by 10 foot addition to the 70 by 30 foot original building. At the same time they completely remodeled the interior of the cafe. The 7-month old addition increased the seating capacity to about 250 persons.
The blaze was reported almost simultaneously by two local men. Romus Brandehoff, who lives just west of the cafe, called the fire department at about 6:10 a.m. and at about the same time Ervin Hesseling stopped at the police station to report the fire.
Brandehoff reported that he was awakened by electrical wiring in his home making a peculiar noise and on investigating, discovered smoke pouring from the Century Club.
Cause of the fire is undetermined but believed to have started in the southwest corner of the structure, the location of the kitchen.
The contents loss included the musical instruments of the Hayden Snyder orchestra, which has been playing at the night club.
A new $1500 juke box owned by Wm. Hullinger of this city was also included in the loss.
Robert Dienstberger reported that the contents are covered by insurance as did Mr. Brandehoff on the building.
April 2, 1955
Purchase of The Point Sandwich Shop here by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Bonifas has been announced. Sellers were Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Ditto of 601 North Main street.
The restaurant is located at the corner of Main and Second streets in the Phelan Hotel building. The new owners also operate NuMaude’s Restaurant on Fifth street. According to Mr. Boniface the sandwich shop will be closed for a short time for a complete redecorating program.
The Point Sandwich Shop has been operating the past year by Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Smith of 708 West Third street.
On reopening, the Point will be under the management of Gerald Hedrick who recently was discharged from the armed service after serving four years in the U.S. Air Force. Prior to entering the service, Mr. Hedrick was employed at NuMaude’s for several years. He also worked at the Balyeat Restaurant in Van Wert.
Apr. 29, 1955
Do You Want To
Re-Live 1907 In
A Small Town
See the original 1907 dances in 1907 costumes! The Racquet dance! The Party Waltz! The Turkey Trot! The College Strut! The Circle Dance (Indiana style)! The Soft Shoe Shuffle! The Old Town Clock Rhymatic Spectacle!
April 29th and May 1st
Tickets now on sale by St. John’s students or at door.
Apr. 27, 1955
Fruehauf and Gramm
Trailer Buy Land
Along Rt. 66
Real Estate transactions were completed here Thursday whereby the Fruehauf Trailer Co. of Detroit and the Gramm Trailer Corp. became owners of three tracts of land totaling 26 acres, located at the south edge of Delphos.
Sellers of the property were John F. Irick and Otto Hellman, both of Route 2, Delphos. The total purchase price was reported in excess of $50,000.
The Fruehauf Trailer Corp. purchased the 26 acre tract, extending west from Route 66 to the Miami and Erie Canal, from Mr. Hellman and about a 4 acre tract extending along South street, across the road from the Gramm Trailer office and connecting with the Hellman tract to the south from Mr. Irick.
Gramm Trailers are the owners of about 1 acre of ground at the corner of Route 66 and South street on which the Irick residence is situated.
According to a report from Robert Townsend, sales manager of Gramm, the final transactions of the transfer of the Gramm Trailer factory site here to Fruehauf are yet to be made. He stated that moving operations of the Gramm equipment to the former Buckeye Machine Co. plant at O’Conner Ave. and the B&O Railroad at Lima, will start on Monday.
Apr. 8, 1955
Waterworks Park Land
Lease of additional Waterworks Park land to be used for parking facilities at the Fruehauf Trailer factory here, for a period of 99 years, is to be granted the Fruehauf Trailer Co., Inc.
Legislation authorizing the leasing of the public lands was passed by City Council at its regular session. Request was made by Gus Plumpe, Ft. Wayne, a Fruehauf representative.
The land to be leased extends about 338 feet east and west and about 50 feet deep on the west and about 80 feet at the Route 66 edge, lying south of the Hunt street park drive and north of the factory fence. The section will be graded and stoned by the Fruehauf Company and will be available for local and area picnickers on Sundays and holidays for parking.
The new industry will also straighten the drive running east from Hunt street.
A request for a traffic light on Route 66 at the factory entrance was also approved by council.
Production at the Fruehauf factory here is expected to start early in May with the assembling of the auto-transport (car hauler) being scheduled. Parts for the first 50 car haulers are to be fabricated at the Ft. Wayne factory and brought here for assembling, Mr. Plumpe said.
In addition to the car-hauler, the Delphos plant will probably complete special reefers, refrigerator trailers, with the skeleton trailers being constructed at the Avon Lake plant, the largest of the ten Fruehauf trailer factories throughout the country.
The Fruehauf official stated that some 70 welding machines will be required for the car-hauler line and a production schedule for 5 trailers a day will be the goal.
Apr. 13, 1955
Lutheran Church to Sponsor
Harp Concert Here
A special treat is in store for Delphos and area music lovers on Sunday afternoon, according to the Rev. David Lynn, pastor of St.. Peter’s Lutheran Church, when Otto Baganz of Plymouth, Wisc., rated among the top concert harpists in America today, presented a concert here.
Mr. Baganz is the only living exponent of Lutheran Choral and Christian hymns on the harp in the nation. He studied under such greats as Enrico Tramont, recognized as the world’s greatest harpist; Edmund Schueker, the great chorale harpist, and Joseph Vito, of Chicago. For many years he was a member of symphony orchestras in Chicago and other Illinois cities.
His $10,000 harp was especially made for exhibit in the Hall of Religion at the Chicago World’s Fair where he played it daily.
Although he has played the harp on national radio programs, Baganz prefers to limit his work to churches.
The concert here Sunday will start at 3 p.m. at the Lutheran Church. The general public is cordially invited and a free will offering will be received to defray expenses.
Apr. 22, 1955
New Super Market
to Open About November 1st
A new supermarket is scheduled to open in Delphos next November, according to an announcement made by Gilbert Brandehoff, who is erecting a new building for the grocery on the site of the Century Club Cafe, which was destroyed by fire several months ago.
The new building will be of concrete block construction with a brick front and will be 140 by 50 feet in size. The location is on Elida Ave. at the east edge of Delphos.
The new super market is to be opened by Arthur Becker of Beaverdam and L.W. Meyers, Fort Jennings. Presently Meyers operates an IGA supermarket in Ft. Jennings. Construction was started more than a week ago by R.J. Osting, local contractor.
According to Mr. Brandehoff, a black-topped parking lot for some 150 autos will also be provided at the new super market.
July 22, 1955
Old Model A
Ford Involved in Crash
A 26-year-old auto was damaged extensively in an auto-truck crash near Fort Jennings on Thursday.
The auto, a 1929 Model A Ford tudor, driven by Otto Holdgreve, 77, of 228 1/2 North Main street, Delphos, collided with a truck driven by Kenneth Miller, 25, of Route 1, Cloverdale, at the intersection of State Route 190 and County Road 34, about 1.4 miles southwest of Ft. Jennings at 1:25 p.m. Thursday.
According to Lima Post state highway patrol, the truck was stopped legally on the county road for Route 190 when Mr. Holdgreve made a right turn off the state road and struck the left rear tire and wheel of the truck. The tire and wheel on the truck was damaged while the front end of the Model A was demolished. No one was injured.
Mr. Holdgreve was cited to appear before Mayor Walter Bigelow of Ottoville in an improper right turn. Hearing is scheduled for Sunday, July 31.
July 29, 1955
To Meet Saturday
A meeting of the Delphos Throttle Twisters (Motorcycle) Club is scheduled at the Sanders Cycle Sales, Route 2, Delphos, Saturday evening.
All members are urged to attend this meeting set to start at 7 o’clock.
July 21, 1955
We Wish To Contact
Steady Worker to
Sunoco Station in Delphos
Contact Toomy’s Motel
732 West Fifth
Apr. 13, 1955