One Year Ago
• Costume winners at the Delphos Area Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours Tuesday were Jack Bertling, a water cooler; Sheila Looser, Buckeye No. 12; Amy Zalar, clown; Casey Paddubay, “I don’t know what I am,” and Nikki Duvall, Lady Gaga.
25 Years Ago — 1987
• More than 6,440 dinners were served Saturday and Sunday during the annual St. John’s fall festival. Dinners totaled 6,448, an increase of 68 over last year, according to festival general chairman George Adams. First place winner of the cash drawing was Sally Fortener.
• Like the Kansas City Royals did two years ago, the Minnesota Twins are turning the St. Louis Cardinals into “Whitey’s Whiners.” After the Twins bludgeoned the Cardinals for the second straight game, 8-4, Sunday night, Manager Whitey Herzog was busy making up excuses for his claustrophobic Cardinals, who can’t wait to get back outdoors in St. Louis for Game 3 Tuesday night.
• Charles Steele, president of Van Wert city council, was one of the key speakers at the dedication of the new municipal court facilities Sunday. The new court was originally built as a U.S. post office in 1915 and in 1982 action was taken by city officials to move the court from the courthouse to the building which is on the Ohio historical building register.
50 Years Ago — 1962
• Mrs. James Irey was hostess to the members of the Jay-C-Dels Thursday evening in her home on South Pierce Street. Assisting Irey were Mrs. Robert Pothast and Mrs. Jack Swick. Roll call and routine business were taken care of after which the members played yahtze. Prizes went to Peggy Mansfield, Betty Swick and Mary Ann German.
• Judy Swallow will reign at Delphos Jefferson Homecoming festivities Friday night. Her attendants will be Diana Brinkman and Janis Thompson. The three will have seats of honor at the football game for which Elida will furnish the competition, and the coronation of the queen will follow at a dance at the high school.
• Council No. 30, Catholic Ladies of Columbia met this week in the parish hall in Ottoville. The possibility of thee organization furnishing some of the entertainment for the Athletic Association’s Jamboree, was discussed. Following the business session cards were played with prizes going to Ida Wannemacher, Catherine Wannemacher, Thatsella Turnwald, and Regina Miller.
75 Years Ago — 1937
• Plans were made Monday night at a regular meeting of the Delphos Band Parents Association for future activities of the organization. The second annual rummage sale will start the first week in December. A bake sale will be conducted on Nov. 24. A special event is being planned for early in November. A covered dish will be served at that time followed by a program. Mrs. Roy Feathers and Mrs. H. F. Buchholtz have been named to have charge of the program.
• Eva Holmes, Lima Avenue, was hostess to the members of the Tourist Club at a regular meeting conducted Monday evening at her home. Two new members, Mrs. Gilbert Miller and Mrs. Charles Horine, were received into the club. The lesson, “Hebrew Poetry,” was given by Ethel Edwards. Review of “The Bible in English Poetry,” was given by Lucile Werner.
• A large attendance marked the Epworth League Candlelighting Service program presented Sunday evening at Morris Chapel Church. The Candlighting Pageant was led by Frances Baxter and other parts taken by Dorotha Peltier, Melba Leist, Norma Ditto, Neil Thompson, William Heidlebaugh, Clair Ditto, Roscoe Thompson, Albert Helidlebaugh and Dwight Ludwig.