The Ohio Electric (Traction Line R.H.) is handing Delphos a lemon.
The unsightly freight platform just east of the first alley east of Main street, north of Second street, is being covered with a shed in which to house freight, incoming and outgoing.
The force of carpenters are hurrying the work along so that it will be completed before the ordinance establishing a new fire limit passed by Council, goes into effect. This freight platform was just outside the fire limit as specified by the old ordinance, but Council succeeded in preventing the company from erecting a shed over it.
Simultaneous with the passage of the new fire ordinance taking in the territory occupied by the freight platform, second hand material was brought here from Van Wert, and a force of men are now at work on the erection of the shed. The law does not probably prohibit them from erecting this unsightly shed in this prominent place, but it seems to be quite apparent that the company is not in accord with the movement in Delphos for improvements that will be not only useful, but pleasing to the eye as well, working out a plan for town beautification.
This company was given and has for y ears enjoyed valuable concessions here. Delphos is one of the best towns on the line, in the matter of affording freight and passenger business. In spite of repeated promises of a freight and passenger station in Delphos that would be a credit to the company; and one that would make the people of Delphos proud, the Ohio Electric apparently intends to make a most undesirable condition, or for some time at least. However, there is sufficient ground space left for a new depot. Here’s hopin!
Delphos Herald, Feb. 16, 1912
for Miners Strike
Railroads and other large consumers of coal in Delphos are preparing themselves against an almost certain miners’ strike, which threatens to throw the entire nation back upon the stored coal supplies and to render idle about every miner in the country.
That the railroads believe in the old saying, “In times of peace prepare for war,” is plainly indicated by the way in which they are storing up coal for their engines and shops when the contracts with the miners expires on the first of April. A majority of the huge supply will be stored by the railroads. Coal dealers will also have big supplies and private concerns will be stocked. Word has come down the line that coal must be ordered at once by dealers and firms or go without. The supply of Anthracite coal is now limited in Delphos, and many of the dealers have been unable the past few days to have any shipped here.
The Clover Leaf railroad has already commenced storing coal at Charleston. Several thousand ton will also be stored in Frankfort and Delphos and at other points along the line.
Feb. 17, 1912
Collision Due to Heavy Fog
The rear end collision at Larwell, Ind., this morning, on the Pennsy was due to a heavy fog that enveloped the earth, the enginemen on the passenger train failing to see the signal displayed by the flagman of the work train until too late to reduce the speed of the train.
Feb. 17, 1912
Red Lights Placed
Red lights were placed at the Commercial Bank and Hotel Delphos corners, Thursday night, where the walks were under water, because the sewer catch basins were frozen up. Employees of the city succeeded in opening them up Friday and the water has been drained.
Feb. 16, 1912
Passing Of Old Building
Rapid progress is being made in tearing away the walls of the old Commercial Bank building to make room for their modern new structure. All the walls except the first and second stories of the one to the south will be torn away and the building will be practically a new structure when the work is completed.
The razing of this structure marks the passing of one of the old business buildings of Delphos. It was the fourth brick business building erected on Main street and was built about the year 1870 by R.K. Lytle and I.C. Scott, and was first used as a grain elevator by these gentlemen. In the big fire of 1872, the roof and corner of the building was on fire, but the flames were extinguished before any great damage was done.
The vacant space on the north side of the structure, which is now to be covered by a portion of the new bank building, had been a driveway for the elevator. The grain was unloaded here and was elevated by horse power. The firm of D.L. Williams & Co. also occupied the building for a time as a grain elevator.
In 1870, the building was abandoned as an elevator and was converted into a business block. The Commercial Bank, which was organized two years prior to this time, was the first business to occupy the north room of the business building after the change and has continued in this location ever since. The second floor of the building was converted into office rooms and the third floor was equipped with a stage and was used for many years as Delphos’ theatre, known as Lytle Hall. After St. Marys Hall was built, the third floor was converted into lodge quarters, used by the Knights of Pythias until this spring, when they purchased the Opera House block and equipped handsome new quarters there.
This large three story brick structure which is now rapidly disappearing, was at one time Delphos’ largest and most important building and the new structure which will replace it, will be the largest and finest building of the business section of the greater Delphos of the present.
June 9, 1912
Discover Error on
WASHINGTON — There stands at one of the entrances to the department, a trim little cannon. It is a pigmy among the giant trophies of mighty guns that surround the building but it has some history of its own.
It was the first cannon captured by the Americans from the British in the Revolutionary war, being captured by the great patriot-traitor general Benedict Arnold.
It has in a dozen years been passed by more army and navy officers and other notables, than any gun in the United States. Yet in all this time, that little gun has born a marked error on a large name plate — an error so plain that it should have been detected immediately by any passing high school cadet.
The gun is a bronze six-pounder, built in Holland in 1747 for King George of England. It is a little under six feet long and is about three and a half inches in caliber.
Deeply cut along the barrel near the muzzle end is the following: “Surrendered by the Capitulation of St. Johns, 1775.” But on a large metal plate sunk in the national shield, on which the gun is mounted, is this conflicting statement: “Revolutionary Trophy; Surrendered at Yorktown, 1775.”
Thus the little gun appears to have been captured at Yorktown, six years before there was any fighting at that point. The error remained undetected for 18 years.
Capt. U.S. Grant, third superintendent of the building, corrected the error at last.
“Beyond doubt,” said Captain Grant, “the gun was captured on some of the adventurous expeditions made by the early revolutionists in 1775.”
Feb. 16, 1912
Delphos Has a
New Baseball Field
Delphos has a new baseball field. The Delphos Bending Works baseball team has taken over a field immediately west of the South Clay street athletic field and is placing it in condition for regular games. It has been leased for a period of two years.
A diamond has been scraped and a backstop and bleachers will be erected. A small grandstand may be built to serve as the backstop.
It is the intention of the management of the Bending Works team to play regular games there.
The first game was played Sunday afternoon when they played the Ridge team the visitors taking them into camp by a score of 3 to 2.
Wilhelm was on the mound for the Delphos boys and allowed the Ridgers 7 hits, striking out 5, issuing three bases on balls and hitting two.
Davis pitched for the visiting team, holding the locals to six hits, striking out six and walking the same number.
Aug. 12, 1929
Woman Pays for
Chickens Husband Stole
SEATTLE: So that her late husband might ‘rest better’ an unidentified woman is paying Mrs. Evelyn Ford, through small weekly payments, for forty chickens her husband took from the Ford chicken house 20 years ago.
A mysterious letter was found by Mrs. Ford in her mail box. It was addressed in the scrawling handwriting of an aged person and read:
“Mrs. Ford; A long time ago my man took chickens from your place. Now he is gone and the children and I think he might rest better if you got for them some pay. Just a little each week maybe.”
Each week, following receipt of the letter, one, two or three crisp one dollar bills have reached the Ford home by mail.