A Legend About
Ground Opening Up
A legend that the ground would open if royalty came to Northwich, has just came true.
Princess Maria was motoring through here on the way to Chester when a chasm 20 feet deep and 12 feet wide opened near the roadway.
The princess was unaware of the phenomenon and continued on her way.
July 8, 1929
Widening of Road
Near Delphos Asked
George H. Rode and eleven other free holders of Washington Township have filed a petition with county commissioners, asking for the widening of a road, which starts at the end of Canal street in Delphos and runs parallel with the Miami and Erie Canal to the Rode farm. The road is about one-half mile in length and at present is twelve feet wide. The date of the view of the proposed improvement has been for 10:00 o’clock, the 25th instant, and the first hearing will be held in the afternoon in the county commissioners office in the courthouse.
July 11, 1929
Officer in German
Army Died in
Oscar Edward Zetterling, an old soldier, who has made his home with various people in Putnam County, for a number of years, was taken to the county infirmary and died the next day at the age of seventh-two years, writes the Putnam County Sentinel. The O.A.R. took charge of his remains which were interred in the Pomeroy cemetery.
Mayor McElroy has received the following letter from Germany in reference to the man mentioned in the foregoing item:
Feb. 12, 1912
Sir: On December 6, 1911, Oscar Zetterling died at the infirmary hospital of Putnam County. The last letter we wrote him was returned with this statement of fact. We are wishing to erect a proper tablet to his memory, and desire such a one be erected in America. We want it to be surmounted with a cross, with inscription of name, date of birth and date of death. Will you be kind enough to give us the cost and to execute the request in our name. Hoping soon for a favorable answer.
With great respect
The deceased Zetterling was a lieutenant in the German army and was a near relative of a prominent family. During the Civil War in this country, he came here and enlisted in the federal army and served a number of years.
Feb. 26, 1912
To afford the visiting newspapermen of Ohio an idea of some of the things that are manufactured in Delphos, the Delphos Hardware Company has arranged a display of Delphos manufactured articles in the south window of their store on Main street. The display is attracting considerable people as well.
Representing the Delphos Manufacturing Company, there is displayed a coal oil pump tank, stoned faced galvanized iron siding, galvanized iron roofing, shingles, steel ceiling, the famous Delphos pump can, gasoline can, chicken founts, non-overflow dispensing tank, long handled dust pans, corn poppers, spouting and eave trough, corrugated roofing and siding.
Showing the products of the Delphos Paper Mills, the Hinde & Dauch Company, several rolls of brown paper have been placed in the window.
H. Ricker & Sons, manufacturers of high-grade furniture and office fixtures, represented by a piece of furniture.
The Contractors’ Supply Company, corrugated galvanized iron and cast iron culvert pipe.
The Delphos Hoop Company, automobile and buggy bows.
The Diesel-Wemmer Company, San Felice cigars.
Handles, John C. Shaffer.
The Swink Printing Press Company, pictures of the Swink press.
The Clover Leaf shops, picture of locomotive No. 185, taken as stood on the turn table at the shops with 100 men on the running boards, on the tank, in the cab, etc.
March 7, 1912
Louis Napoleon, Posed as Workman and Escaped
Some details were given incidentally of his escape from the fortress of Ham in northern France on May 25, 1846. Further details are now available, thanks to the researches of M. Therrin, and in view of the escape of Capt. Lux, they have a special interest at the present moment.
It seems that the sole credit for the escape must lie with Louis Napoleon himself. He told his valet, Thelin, to buy a black wig, some rouge, a cap which was scrubbed with pumice stone and a pair of sabots. Then he cut off his mustache, put on a blue apron, a blue pair of trousers and a close-fitting shirt of course stuff.
Some workmen were carrying out some repairs to that part of the fortress where the prince lodged, and this gave color to his disguise, so much so that the two watchmen entertained no suspicions regarding the man who walked past them and out the great gate, a pipe in his mouth and a plank on his shoulder. The sergeant on duty at the drawbridge was reading a letter as he passed and took no notice of him. It was then 5 o’clock in the morning.
Four times that day, the last time at 5 in the afternoon, did the Governor, Damarie, send for the prince. Each time, Dr. Conneau replied that the prisoner could not see anybody because he had taken medicine. When at last the governor lost patience and went himself to the princes’ room and walked up to the bed on which the supposed invalid was lying, he discovered that a very presentable dummy had taken the place of Louis Napoleon. By that time the fugitive was over the Belgian border.
Feb. 29, 1912
Big Barn Fire
Fire was discovered in the large Paper Mill Company barn about 6:30 Sunday evening, on north Main street, opposite the Clover Leaf shops. The blaze started in the big hay mow where 20 tons of hay had been stored last week. A sufficient portion of the lower part was saved and can be rebuilt.
Twelve head of horses and two mules were in the stalls. All these were saved by the employes of the Clover Leaf, who ran to the barn, cut the straps securing the animals and drove them into the street before the flames reached them. The Clover Leaf men also laid fire from the round house and assisted in quenching the flames. The Fire Department and the Clover Leaf service made short work of the fire after the water was turned on. A quantity of harness, etc., was also saved.
William Dauch, manager, had left the barn only a short time before the fire was discovered and everything was all right when he left. The company had $1,000 insurance on the barn and $800 on the horses.
The flames lighted up the sky and until the people uptown learned what was burning opinion was divided as to whether it was the Paper Mill or the Beckman residence properties. The Paper Mill is equipped with an automatic overhead sprinkler system. Part of the timber used in the construction of the big barn was shipped by the company from Muncie, Ind., saved from a structure there that was partially burned.
The hook and ladder wagon was a little slow in being gotten to the fire, for the reason that new collars have not yet arrived for the new team, and it was necessary to take the team of grays from the barn at the rear of the City Building and hitch them to the truck. The firemen did very effective work, considering the fact that the run was a very long one, and usually barn fires are the hardest to control and the quickest to burn.
Apr. 17, 1911
Franklin School Fire Drill
A fire drill took place at the Franklin School Monday morning and the pupils of all grades, except two, were out of the building in one minute. The teachers in two of the grades did not hear the gong, and consequently were “burned to a cinder.”
Apr. 17, 1911