Monday, November 12, 2012 11:53 AM
Having voted since the election of Franklin Roosevelt, I have never seen such a disparity between the rural voters and the big city voters. Three-fourths of Putnam County voted for Romney. Also everywhere we drove in Ohio and part of Michigan the Romney signs outnumbered the Obama signs by at least ten to one.
It makes me happy to know that such a large percentage of the rural area voted Christian values, but sad that so many Ohio voters did not. Did they not know the intrinsic evils that they were buying into or was there that much voter fraud?
Monday, November 05, 2012 2:16 PM
One week ago last Friday evening saw a dreary start to the evening before the game between Jefferson and Spencerville. The weather was not the best, but it did not stop them from paying tribute to the many veterans in attendance from Delphos and Spencerville.
For those who were not there, two large flags were carried onto the field, one by the local Veterans of Delphos, the other brought on by Veterans from Spencerville. Each flag surrounded by Veterans entered from opposite ends of the field were then halted as they centered over the fifty yard line. With the flags in position and everyone standing the School combined the two bands and played the National Anthem. Once the game started, the announcers would periodically read the names of Veterans, identifying which branch of service, the years they served and where they served, adding a more personal recognition to those of us who served. Because of the thoughtfulness of the staff, faculty and students of Jefferson, I would like to say thanks!.
What so many of us did so long ago, those that have served since, along with those veterans currently serving, this tribute has and does make our efforts and lasting memories worth while.
On behalf of the Delphos Veterans Council and all veterans, I would like to say thanks again to John Edinger, his staff and the students for organizing this tribute to the Veterans for their service on this approaching Veterans Day.
The Veterans Day Service will begin at 11 a.m. on Sunday at the Delphos Veterans Memorial. It will be held at the American Legion if it rains.
Monday, November 05, 2012 10:51 AM
Abraham Lincoln said:
“You cannot bring about prosperity by discovering thrift
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by encouraging the claw of hatred.
You cannot help the poor by discouraging the rich.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man’s initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they should be doing for themselves.”
Times have changed?
Remember Abraham Lincoln’s comments when you cast your ballet on Tuesday.
Thursday, November 01, 2012 12:56 PM
Our “Emperor” Obama was caught on tape whispering to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, “This is my last election. After my election, I have more flexibility.” Flexibility to do what? Obviously something we Americans won’t like or he would tell us now. We’re being lied to. He’s hiding something serious. Is he selling Americans out in the arms race? Is it gun control? He’s already declared war on the First Amendment and Catholics. If you’re not Catholic, he’ll be after your religion soon to pay for his “Obamacare,” which over 60 percent of Americans detest. Under Obamacare, we senior citizens are to get “pre-death counseling” rather than treatment.
If you’re a hunter or know someone who hunts, or whose livelihood is dependant on any business related to hunting, you or they will be out of luck if he’s re-elected. A lot of people think he’s only opposed to “assault rifles” or “Saturday night specials.” He wants to ban all guns, even home defense guns. The FBI has said many times that violent crime goes way down when people have home defense guns.
Here’s Obama’s record of his attack on the Second Amendment:
- Obama appointed two anti-Second Amendment Supreme Court Justices, one of whom lied to get appointed (Sonia Sotomayor). If he gets one more, the Second Amendment is effectively repealed.
- He voted to ban millions of common rifles, pistols and shotguns.
- He voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition used for hunting.
- He voted to uphold criminal prosecution of people who used firearms in self defense, even in their own homes.
- He voted to ban all handguns, even those used for self-defense in your own home.
- He opposed all Right-to-Carry laws.
- He voted to raise taxes on hunting ammo by 500 percent.
- He and his U.S. Attorney General, Eric Holder, shipped U.S. guns to Mexican drug cartels in an attempt to blame U.S. guns for gun violence. It failed and U.S. border agent Brian Terry was killed because of it. Holder is being prosecuted by Congress and Obama’s hiding behind “executive privilege” for his part.
The U.S. Military got Osama Bin Laden. Obama just happened to be president when they did.
Obama thinks the government’s job is to take money from somebody and give it to somebody else. At best, he is a Marxist. He may even be a Communist. He must be defeated. Please go to the polls and vote for freedom. Vote for Mitt Romney. Also, our Senator, Sherrod Brown, thinks like Obama. Vote for Josh Mandel for Senator, he respects our Christian values, like Mitt Romney.
Folks, the Democrats of today are not the Democrats of old. Once upon a time, the Democratic Party protected workers’ rights. Not anymore. What the Democrats want today is absolute power over all of us.
James D. Pohlman
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:21 PM
Although I agree 100 percent with everything else Laura Peters said in the article, which appeared on page 1 of the Oct. 26, 2012, issue of the Delphos Herald, except her comment, “Breast cancer isn’t considered a life-threatening disease anymore. They’re calling it a chronic illness.” I don’t know who they are who told her this and maybe it was to put her mind at ease but that is totally not true. I was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer of a more rare type that doesn’t always show on a mammogram or until it is an advanced stage. Stage 5, you die.
I had surgery, a year of very aggressive chemo from which I was told may take 10 years to recover, if ever completely, and 2 1/2 months of daily radiation. Breast cancer or any type of cancer is a serious and sometimes life-threatening or fatal disease. It should not be minimized or taken lightly.
Let me share the most current information on breast cancer:
• About 39,520 women in the U.S. were expected to die in 2011 from breast cancer, though death rates have been decreasing since 1990 — especially in women under 50. These decreases are thought to be the result of treatment advances, earlier detection through screening, and increased awareness.
• For women in the U.S., breast cancer death rates are higher than those for any other cancer, besides lung cancer.
Women’s Wellness Center, St. Rita’s Medical Center, Lima
• One woman dies from breast cancer every twelve minutes in the U. S.
• Breast cancer is the leading cause of death among women 35-54 years of age.
• Cancer is the No. 2 cause of death in the U. S.
• Recurring cancer may not be breast cancer or the type of cancer a person initially had.
American Cancer Society (cancer.org)
Cancer Facts & Figures 2012 report by the American Cancer Society
• An estimated 229,060 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected in 2012, of which 39,920 people will die. An additional estimated 63,300 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in 2012.
Please don’t trivialize the seriousness of breast cancer or any type of cancer. Wonderful advancements have been and continue to be made in the field of cancer treatment but it is still a life-threatening and often fatal disease. Survivors need to stress that it is a life-threatening disease and should be considered as such. Everyone needs an annual mammogram and to do monthly self-exams. Like Mrs. Peters, I feel fortunate to be a survivor but you can only be a survivor when something has threatened your life, not just been chronic.