HARRISBURG, Pa. — A young man who testified last year at Jerry Sandusky’s child sexual abuse trial sued the former coach and Penn State on Thursday over what he said was nearly four years of sexual assault while in his early teens.
The lawsuit by the man known as Victim 9 in criminal court records was filed in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court after talks with the university failed to reach a settlement.
The lawsuit claims the boy, now 20 years old, would not have been victimized if university officials had properly handled other complaints about Sandusky.
“Penn State provided Sandusky the tools with which to ply the craft of a pedophile long after Sandusky’s formal ties with the university were supposed to have been severed,” the lawsuit read.
Victim 9’s lawyers wrote that “it was the inviolable culture of financial and sporting success of Penn State football that made possible the horrific sexual abuse that forms the basis of this lawsuit.”
A university spokesman declined comment and a message left for a lawyer who has represented Sandusky in other civil litigation was not immediately returned.
The young man’s lawyers called him John Doe D and asked that his identity not be disclosed. The Associated Press does not generally publish the names of sexual abuse victims.
“It’s now clear that Penn State enabled Sandusky to sexually abuse more than 20 other children before Sandusky preyed on this boy,” wrote the plaintiff’s lawyer, Stephen E. Raynes. “Each of those tragic assaults provided Penn State with the opportunity to stop Sandusky, opportunities which Penn State squandered. We will learn through this lawsuit why that happened and what additional lessons Penn State should learn from this tragic episode in its history.”
The lawsuit claims that the university knew or should have known, after officials fielded complaints about Sandusky in 1998 and 2001, that children such as Victim 9 were “endangered by Sandusky’s predatory pedophilia.”
During testimony at Sandusky’s trial in June 2012, Victim 9 said Sandusky began by fondling him and degenerated into forced oral sex before several instances of rape in Sandusky’s State College home. The lawsuit said the abuse took place between summer 2005 and fall 2009, when he was 16 years old.
He testified that his muffled screams went unheard by Sandusky’s wife, Dottie, upstairs.
“He got real aggressive and just forced me into it,” he testified. “And I just went with it — there was no fighting against it.”
The lawsuit claims Sandusky’s former boss, coach Joe Paterno, invited the boy and Sandusky to have lunch with him at Beaver Stadium and tour the stadium, despite the late coach “being alerted years earlier to Sandusky’s sexual assault of young boys.”
“Each time Sandusky and John Doe D encountered Paterno, Paterno greeted Sandusky, endorsing Sandusky’s favored status with Penn State,” the lawsuit stated.
Paterno was fired shortly after Sandusky’s November 2011 arrest and died a few months later. A spokesman and lawyer for his family did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
Victim 9’s lawyers said he has suffered depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, flashbacks of abuse at Sandusky’s hands, sleep disturbance and other problems.
The lawsuit asserts an assault and battery claim against Sandusky. The university was sued for negligence and recklessness, tortious conduct, misrepresentation and infliction of emotional distress.
Six of the 45 counts for which Sandusky was convicted concerned Victim 9: two counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault, unlawful contact with a minor, corruption of minors and endangering a child’s welfare.
Penn State announced last month it was paying nearly $60 million to settle abuse claims by 26 young men.
Three former Penn State administrators currently await trial on charges they engaged in a criminal cover-up of complaints about Sandusky. Former president Graham Spanier, former vice president Gary Schultz and former athletic director Tim Curley all deny the allegations.
Sooners’ Stoops close to record win
NORMAN, Okla. — Some of the most successful coaches in college football history have led Oklahoma.
Step off the elevators into the club-level seating lounge at the Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and there are life-size photos of the three most famous - Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer and Bob Stoops.
Now Stoops, in his 15th season at the Sooners’ helm, is set to pass Switzer as the winningest coach in Oklahoma history. A win for No. 22 Oklahoma (8-2, 5-2 Big 12 Conference) at Kansas State (6-4, 4-3) on Saturday would be No. 158 for Stoops. It’s a milestone that Stoops claims he hasn’t thought about “at all.”
“You can say that he’s lying but why would I?” Stoops asked. “I haven’t picked up a paper since the week before the first game or looked at it. I watch national news and CNN isn’t talking about it. I try to keep up with what’s happening in the world. That kind of stuff has no place for me, just because it’s not what is important.”
Oklahoma has more 10-win seasons (34) than any other Football Bowl Subdivision program. Bud Wilkinson won 145 games from 1947-63. Barry Switzer passed Wilkinson, winning 157 games from 1973-88.
Entering the season, Stoops’ average of 10.6 wins per year was tops among active FBS coaches with 10 or more years of experience. He is the only active coach at an FBS program to have taken his team to a bowl game in each of his first 14 seasons and that streak will be extended this season. He is 157-39 overall, an 80.1-percent winning clip.
Stoops guided Oklahoma to a somewhat surprising national title in 2000, in just his second season. Stoops’ success came after a 5-year stretch during which the Sooners failed to post a winning record under Gary Gibbs (whose 6-year tenure ended in 1994), Howard Schnellenberger (1995) and John Blake (1996-1998).
Stoops recorded his 150th career win in this season’s opener against Louisiana-Monroe, in his 187th game. He became the sixth-fastest to reach 150 wins at the FBS level — a list topped by Switzer, who did so in 180 games.
Oklahoma’s football offices are dubbed the “Switzer Center” and even a quarter-century removed from his coaching career, Switzer remains an Oklahoma icon - revered as much for his folksy, open personality and approachability as his three national titles.
Switzer didn’t return a phone message left by The Associated Press this week, although he and Stoops have a friendly relationship, as evidenced by Stoops’ postgame comments Saturday, after the Sooners beat Iowa State to allow Stoops to tie Switzer.
Stoops often has said the reason he’s remained so long at Oklahoma has to do with his relationship with athletic director Joe Castiglione and university President David Boren, the two men who hired him in 1999. The trio have been together ever since, the longest current grouping of a president, athletic director and football coach at the FBS level.
Oklahoma’s players certainly are aware of what their coach has achieved and want to give him the record win on Saturday.
“It would be great,” senior tailback Brennan Clay said. “That’s why I came, because of the tradition and history and be a part of the team to help coach Stoops possibly surpass that mark. We’re going to do a great job this week preparing for K-State and I congratulate coach Stoops for such an accomplishment. He’s done a great job for this university even before I was here and we’re going to continue to do so.”
Nix undecided on whether he’ll be back for Irish
SOUTH BEND, Ind.— Notre Dame nose guard Louis Nix III knows loves to have fun with people, so it’s hard to tell how serious he is when he says he’s considering returning for one more year.
Nix says it’s at least something to consider as he prepares for what could be his last game at Notre Dame Stadium when the Irish (7-3) host BYU (7-3) on Saturday. Nix was the first player to commit to Notre Dame after Charlie Weis was fired but did so before Brian Kelly was hired.
Nix is a senior who has one year of playing eligibility left.
Kelly says Nix picked Notre Dame because he wanted to get a degree, play for a championship and play in the NFL. Kelly says Nix will accomplish all three.
Mosley, Joyner among 5 Nagurski Trophy finalists
DALLAS — Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley and Florida State defensive back Lamarcus Joyner are among five finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy for national defensive player of the year.
Also chosen as finalists by the Football Writers Association of America were Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Missouri defensive end Michael Sam and Michigan State cornerback Darqueze Dennard. The award will be presented Dec. 9.
Mosley leads No. 1 Alabama in tackles with 79 and has broken up five passes.
Joyner has 51 tackles for No. 2 Florida State, including 6½ for loss, and had forced three fumbles.
Donald leads the country in tackles for loss with 22½, including 10 sacks. Sam has three 3-sack games and scored a touchdown on a fumble return. Dennard has three interceptions and seven pass breakups.
Lombardi Award finalists announced
HOUSTON — UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr, Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald, Alabama linebacker C.J. Mosley and Missouri defensive end Michael Sam have been named finalists for the Lombardi Award for college football’s best lineman or linebacker.
Barr has 50 tackles, including 14 ½ for losses, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. Donald has 22 ½ tackles for losses and 10 sacks and his 28 ½ career sacks are most among active players in the FBS.
Mosley leads the Crimson Tide with 81 tackles, including seven for losses and has eight quarterback hurries. Sam leads the Southeastern Conference in tackles for losses with 16 and sacks with 10 and he returned a fumble for a touchdown.
The winner will be announced at a ceremony in Houston on Dec. 11.